TWENTY-THIRD SUNDAY IN ORDINARY TIME - Yr B
6th September 2015
From Fr Suresh
A MOTHER'S BIRTHDAY
ON FATHER'S DAY
Once an old priest who had spoken and written a great deal about Mother Mary was asked: "Who is Mary and what does she mean to us?" His reply was very very simple. "When you have called Mary, the Mother of God, what else is there for me to say?"
It is a privilege for us her children to celebrate her birthday. Her birth was foretold, much anticipated and looked forward by various prophets, holy men and women. She is a blessing to the whole of humanity. She is a promise of our present as well as our future. She is one of us and yet she is so unique in the eyes of God.
The Family Picnic scheduled for Sunday 30th August has been cancelled due to bad weather.
A member of the Parish Peace Justice and Environment Group attended a seminar recently on Pope Francis' new Encyclical, Laudato Si. It takes its name from the first words of a prayer of St Francis and is focussed on care of the environment. The seminar was organised by the Australian Religious Response to Climate Change (ARRCC) and brought out these points
- It is the Pope's second encyclical and is addressed to all people of good will because the earth is our common home and should be the concern of all of humanity.
- Laudate Si validates the Christian environmental movement and moves concern for the environment from being a fringe issue to one that is an integral part of the Christian life.
- The Pope makes caring for the environment a moral issue and quotes the Orthodox Patriarch Bartholomew who says to that mistreat the earth is a sin.
- Caring for the earth and justice for the poor are integrally linked and cannot be separated.
- The Pope critiques rampant and unchecked capitalism and challenges all people to live simpler and more sustainable lifestyles so as to avoid the excesses of modern capitalism.
- The Pope has made September 1st an annual day of Global Prayer for the Care of Creation which was began by the Orthodox Patriarch Batholomew.
Pray For Someone You Love
The parish was inspired by The Catholic Guy, Bruce Downes, when he and his ministry ran a mission for us. Bruce continues his association with us by choosing facilities within our parish as headquarters for a new outreach. He is conducting Core Training for parishioners every Sunday evening in Camilleri Hall. It is being done with a view to establishing an Impact Centre here similar to the ones already running in Varrowville and in Western Australia.
Take a look at Bruce's video now to see how you can join with thousands of others in praying for your loved ones.
Confirmation Process 2015
A reminder to the parents involved that there are Parent Meetings and Workshops coming up in August as part of this Parish Based and Family Centred process.. We help you with this through a process of guided reflection and formation so that you as parents do the prepare your chilod for Confirmation.